Powered By Blogger

Sunday, January 2, 2011

We were just two weirdos who passed in the night...

A long, long time ago, when dinosaurs still roamed the earth...okay, maybe not that long ago, but a long time ago, when I was a sophomore in college, I was walking home one night across campus to my dorm.  I also happened to be singing out loud.  (Never been very inhibited).  A young man passed me, walking the other direction.  After he passed me I heard him shout: "Hey!"

I expected he was going to make some crack about my singing.  I turned back toward him (still singing) and to my surprise, he had his pants around his knees and was flopping his dangly parts at me!  I didn't miss a beat in my song, turned back away and continued walking.

When I got back to my dorm I mentioned the incident to the first friend I saw and she freaked out!  She ran and got the resident in charge (I forget what they called those students) and that person called the campus police.  I had to make a report of the incident.  They were all very sympathetic and wanted to know if, perhaps, I felt I needed to see the school psychologist for the trauma.  I have to admit it had never occurred to me to be traumatized...  I was more surprised by the huge brou ha ha than I had been by the flashing.  Then I realized that some of the sheltered little girls who lived in my dorm probably would have been terribly upset.

I then began to regret that I had not roared and charged at him.  I'm quite certain that he would have been so startled by such a reaction that, with his pants around his knees, he would have tripped himself up and fallen flat on his face.  I could see the headlines: "Coed Tackles Flasher!"  Alas, the idea hadn't occurred to me.  I just thought at the time: "what a weirdo!"  And I imagine that might have been what he thought about me, walking along alone at night singing and not even having the good grace to scream when he showed off his dangly parts.

*Sigh*  I guess we were just two weirdos who passed in the night.  Granted, I was the more benign weirdo...

1 comment:

  1. You're more braver than I am!
    I probably would have pushed him down then ran, but of course those things never enter your mind when the chance comes up.

    ReplyDelete